The Azienda Agricola Giovanni Sordo is located in the municipality of Castiglione Falletto, in the heart of the well-known Barolo district. It is a family-owned winery that is now in the capable hands of Giorgio, Giovanni’s son and the third generation of a family that has been tending and making wines for over a century.
The Sordo family now owns 53 hectares spread through Castiglione Falletto, Serralunga d’Alba, Monforte d’Alba, Barolo, Novello, La Morra, Verduno, Grinzane Cavour, and Vezza d’Alba. Sordo is unusual in that it is the only existing winery that can boast 8 different types of Barolo – the crus – from vineyards spread around 5 municipalities in the Barolo wine region.
The organization has received several awards from various competition in which it has participated. And, earlier this year, they were recognized and awarded by Asia Import News Awards 2021, where they received a Gold Award for their Sordo Barolo.
SORDO BAROLO DOCG 2017
Awarded Gold by Asia Import News
This Barolo is a bland made with grapes belonging to further vineyards than the ones employed to produce the 8 well-known crus of the Sordo range; these are spreaded out in 5 different municipalities of the Barolo wine district. The Barolo – king of wines and wine of kings – has been celebrated as the Nebbiolo’s best product for centuries. It is historically linked to the Unification of Italy – the Rinascimento . Well-known politicians of the time and the Royal family – the Savoia – have relished of this great wine that today more than ever is a prize for the enology.
Interview of MR. PAOLO CLEMENTE
Asia Business Development Manager
Question 1: Do you already export to Asia ? If yes, where ? If not, what type of importers & distributors are you looking for in Asia ?
Yes, we do export in many Asian countries, like China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, Philippines. But we are always looking for new opportunities. Our ideal partner is an importer with distribution in traditional channels, but also in e-commerce and knowledge of digital marketing.
Question 2: What is the most unique and qualitative part of your products, different from competitors ?
What sets us: KEY FACTS FOR SORDO
- 100 years old estate
- The only estate boasting 8 Barolo crus
- A TRADITIONAL BAROLO PRODUCER! (big barrels only)
- Famous oenologist working at the winery for nearly 50 yrs (Armando Cordero, the ‘Barolo oenologist’)
- Vineyards tended by the family
- Winemaking supervised by Giorgio Sordo and Paola Sordo (3rd and 4th generation)
- Yearly new land/vineyard acquisitions
- Underground cellar (12 meters)
- Bottle archive dating back to the 80s-available for sale
- New Barolo Crus work in progress
- Introduction of unique indigenous varietals, i.e Pelaverga
- Latest update of the winery with the building of the show room
- Big presence in almost all the main markets
- Active participation to wine events worldwide
- New generation-Paola Sordo and her wines/ sister company
- Expansion in new markets with different brands and labels
- Relatively new in some markets
Question 3: When did you start to export your brand worldwide, and what is your development plan for the next years ?
We started exporting our wines many years ago. Our strategy is to seek the right brand positioning for this family brand.We are improving more and more the quality, the environmental sustainability and increasing our presence around the world.
To see more of their products, visit their website at http://www.sordogiovanni.it/