Familia Martínez Bujanda
We present you the Best “Terroir” Wines.
For an exquisite experience we invite you to try these wines.
If you are an importer looking for great quality and variety , contact Familia Martínez Bujanda Now !
Interview of MARTA S. MARTINEZ BUJANDA – EXPORT MANAGER
and member of the 5th generation of Familia Martínez Bujanda for AsiaImportNews – Exclusive
Could you please tell us the story of your winery, when it was created and how it developed decades after decades ?
Our company was founded in 1889 in La Rioja. After all this years, we are still a 100% family business. Our philosophy has been always making wines with our own vineyards and that is why after some years we decide to invest of winery in other vineyards in privilege areas of Spain.
What sort of wines are you producing ?
We are producing wines from different single vineyards around Spain :
- FINCA VALPIEDRA (DOCa RIOJA). This is our flagship. A single 80 ha-vineyard, the only one in La Rioja belonging to the Great Single Estates of Spain. The vineyard was bought in 1974 by my grandfather and it was planted at that time. The average age of the vines is 40 years old although we have had some latest plantations as for example 4 hectares of Maturana that we are using since 2007 in our blend of Finca Valpiedra Reserva. We are producing only 2 wines from this single vineyard and at the Estate Property: Cantos de Valpiedra (100% Tempranillo with about 14 months in oak) and Finca Valpiedra Reserva ( a blend of 90% Tempranillo and 10% Graciano and Maturana).
- FINCA ANTIGUA (DO MANCHA). In the 90´s we wanted to extend our business and we wanted to continue with the philosophy of making wines with own grapes. This is the reason why we decided to extend our business to other regions in Spain. We found Finca Antigua, a very beautiful Estate of almost 1000 hectares (421 hectare of vineyards), which is situated almost 1000 meter above the sea level and which is the perfect combination between Scrubland and Vineyards. At this Estate we are making a full range of single varietal wines including 2 whites (Finca Antigua 100% Viura and 100% muscatel) and 6 reds with crianza in oak (Finca Antigua Tempranillo, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Syrah, Garnacha and Petit Verdot), a blend Crianza (FA Crianza Unico), a Reserva and a “field blend” wine called Clavis.
- FINCA MONTEPEDROSO (DO RUEDA). This is our last challenge. For years we have produced mainly red wines and we thought that to have a more complete portfolio (for some of our importers we are the only Spanish supplier), we had to have a flagship white wine. We were looking in the top Spanish regions for White wines for a nice vineyard and we found Finca Montepedroso, a 100% Verdejo vineyard of 25 hectares. The vineyard is 750 meter above the sea level and we are producing a single wine from this single vineyard, FINCA MONTEPEDROSO 100%VERDEJO. The winery is the same vineyard, as it happens in Finca Valpiedra and Finca Antigua, and this means that until now, FINCA MONTEPEDROSO is the only wine in Rueda being a single Estate.
- VIÑA BUJANDA (DOCa RIOJA). Beside Finca Valpiedra, we have another 120 hectares in 18 different plots of Rioja Alta and Rioja Alavesa. At this winery, we are making a full range of Rioja Wines, 3 young wines, red, rosé and white, a crianza, a reserve and a grand reserve. All the range is made with our own grapes, we do not buy any grape or any wine at all.
- COSECHEROS Y CRIADORES (Vino de La Tierra de Castilla) Our 2 main ranges are CANDIDATO or CASA SOLAR, a classic range of Spanish wines at a very good prices an INFINITUS a range of modern, fruit driven wines with an international character.
How important are your export distribution compared to national distribution ?
We are exporting the 70% of our production. We were pioneers in Rioja and we are exporting our wines for more than 30 years.
What sort of distributors are your customers ?
We are working mainly with HORECA customers, wine shops and restaurants.
Why your wines are different from other wineries in your area ?
Mainly because we are making « terroir « wines. We do not buy any grape and we do not blend grapes from different vintages, so the only difference between vintages is the
Particular Weather of each vintage.
Do you produce grapes in a organic or environmental friendly method, or with general methods ?
Yes, we do. Depending on the region, we are working in an organic way (DO MANCHA- FINCA ANTIGUA) or ENVIRONMENTAL FRIENDLY METHOD (Finca Valpiedra in Rioja and Finca Montepedroso in Rueda)
Are your wines already distributed in Asia, and if not what are the countries you are looking for new distributors ?
We are working in Japan, Korea, China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Philippines and Indonesia. We are looking for new distributors in the countries we are not now working.
Is there anything you want to add about your wines, story or any news ?
Our wines have been very well rated in the last years by people like Parker or Tim Atkin and we have had very good recognition in maganizes like Decanter.
Thank you Ms. MARTA S. MARTINEZ BUJANDA – Export Manager – of Familia Martínez Bujanda for
your time and answers !
To all importers
Familia Martínez Bujanda www.familiamartinezbujanda.com
There is no way to lose a great opportunity like this!