The Cellar and the vineyards of the Roman Family are located in one of the most enchanting corners of western Sicily, between the provinces of Palermo and Trapani.
An extraordinary territory rich in natural and artistic beauties to be discovered, enjoyed and savored.
The scenery that presents itself to the eyes of the visitor is wonderful: delightful valleys alternate with promontories and hills that explode in spring, rich in colors like the yellow of the wheat, the green of the vineyards the red of the Sulla. A unique landscape, like few others in Sicily, where man, from time immemorial, cultivates with care and passion, continuing for generations a productive activity that transforms the fruits of nature into delicacies for the most refined palates.
THE VINEYARDS WHICH PRODUCE HIGH-QUALITY GRAPES
The Vineyards are located upstream of Lake Poma, a wine area very suited, and have obtained the designation D.O.C., specifically “Monreale” and “Alcamo”. Therefore the wines produced by their winery can bear the title “VINO D.O.C. MONREALE” and “VINO D.O.C. ALCAMO”, as well as the denomination “TERRE SICILIANE I.G.P.)
Their vineyards have undergone major renovations. Recently, they have been uprooted and replanted according to the agronomic techniques most suited to the production of quality grapes. The number of plants per hectare has been increased, but the number of buds per hectare has been reduced to obtain high-quality grapes.
The varieties grafted on “SICILIA” type rootstocks are the native Catarratto, Grecanico and Moscato for the whites; Perricone, Nero d’Avola, Nerello Mascalese and Mamertino for the reds, and also the international vines have been taken care of, introducing the Viognier, the Pinot Grigio, the Sauvignon Blanc and the Traminer for the whites, while for the red grapes grafted the Merlot, the Cabernet Sauvignon and the Marselan.
All these varieties are cultivated with over a hundred years of know-how and transformed with the best oenological techniques managed by expert hands, giving rise to still, pleasing wines, with a harmony of perfumes and rarely matched aromas.
THE STORY ABOUT THE ROMAN FAMILY
The ROMANO winery takes shape in the mid-80s, from the entrepreneurial will of the Roman family, dedicated for generations to the cultivation of vineyards and the transformation of grapes into fine wine.
The family history of wine dates back at least two centuries ago, AND the first official documents date back to 1890, with formal acts of acquisition of the first vineyards. When the future spouses Francesca and Lorenzo Romano received a substantial sum of money and a modest vineyard from the father Angelo in 1890 in the territory upstream of the town of Borgetto, in the province of Palermo, with which they began a flourishing wine activity, which continues today with the innovative C.da Ramotta factory and the C.da Cambuca vineyards, DOC territory Alcamo and Monreale.
The family structure, family-owned, includes the president Angelo Romano, grown with the scent of the vineyards, graduated in Agricultural Sciences at the Faculty of Agriculture of Palermo and master in oenology at the Catholic University of Piacenza, the mother Giuseppina da always devoted to the management of the family vineyards, his wife Giusy, a graduate of Foreign Languages and Literature, specialized in public relations, her son Renato who took the place of his grandfather of the same name and graduating in Economics and his daughter Gaia graduated in international legislation.
The history of the Romano family is consolidated and embellished with the start of the restructuring of historic vineyards and with the construction of a modern winery in C.da Ramotta in order to replace the one in the town center of Borgetto. By rationalizing in this way both the production and the transformation of the grapes, they are proposing themselves to the international market of quality wine.
Are you excited to know more about Romano Winery? Don’t hesitate to click HERE for more information.